Try a new search >
   
 
      Slideshow      
   
   -   The Australian Institute of Architects Award for Heritage Architecture (NSW)




Courtyard Pavilions, Parramatta Justice Precinct
by Bates Smart Pty Ltd

            

IN THE ARCHITECTS WORDS

A public courtyard centrally located within the new Justice Precinct celebrates the historic significance of the site and interprets its history to a broad audience, through landscape, archaeology and built elements. Recent archaeological excavation has provided evidence of the sites role in the settlement and expansion of Parramatta, including convict settlement dating back to 1792 and the continuous provision of health services. Unlike other heritage sites in Parramatta where buildings remain intact, these fragile archaeological remains require imagination and interpretation to help visitors perceive what may have been. This is provided by a series of interpretive themes and stories expressed in the courtyard through a variety of media including planting, paving, graphics, the reconstruction of boundary walls and two pavilion buildings. These two and three dimensional interpretive elements are layered to reflect specific periods of the history of the site. The original curtilage of the Colonial Hospital is defined by new walls and the reconstruction of parts of the original boundary wall using stone recovered in the excavation. Within this area the archaeology is capped with a protective slab and the location of archaeological remains from the 2nd hospital and convict hut (1789 - 1817) defined by contrasting paving. The footprint of the surgeon's residence (1818-1844) is defined by a raised platform while two single-storey pavilion structures provide a contemporary interpretation of the Third Colonial Hospital and Kitchen Wing (1818 – 1844). The buildings are designed as lightweight steel
 
 

frame, glass and timber structures located above the archaeological layer to minimise any impact on the existing remains. Colonial Hospital A timber platform floating above the courtyard defines the footprint of the original Colonial Hospital. The original form of the building including its masonry walls and verandah are reinterpreted in full height glass and a continuous veranda, defined by fine steel columns. The building is split into two separate spaces of the same size as the original male and female hospital wards. The western half of the building provides for a future Café; while the eastern space displays the exposed archaeological remains of the 3rd Colonial Hospital along with artefacts and interpretive material, which are visible from inside and outside the space. Kitchen Wing A timber platform set within the courtyard paving defines the footprint of the Kitchen Wing of the 3rd Colonial Hospital and the location of the archaeological remains. At the southern end of the platform the remains of the privies are exposed and displayed within a glass enclosure, while the northern end accommodates an artefact display and cafe amenities. The glass walls of the pavilions incorporate interpretive graphics to assist with understanding the historic significance of the remains. Plant species selection has been based on historic associations. Peppercorn trees make reference to the name of a former Nursing Journal based on a group of trees which once on the site. Lemon trees recall the former orchards that surrounded to hospital and the importance of citrus fruit in treating health problems.
 
DETAILS

Location
Sydney, NSW
Architect
Bates Smart Pty Ltd
Contact address:
Project Team
Design architect: Guy Lake
Design architect: Guy Lake
Structural consultant: Van Der Meer Consulting
Lighting consultant: Vision Lighting Design
Services consultant: Lincolne Scott
Design Director: Philip Vivian
Project Leader: Allan Lamb
Architect: Stefan Strigl
Design Director: Philip Vivian
Project Leader: Allan Lamb
Architect: Stefan Strigl
Landscape Architect: EDAW
Archaeology Consultant: Casey & Lowe Pty Ltd
Interpretation Consultant: International Conservation Services Pty Ltd
Access Consultant: Morris Goding Accessibility Consulting
BCA: City Plan Services
Approval Authority: NSW Heritage Office
Design & Construct Builder: Multiplex Constructions
Photographer: Tyrone Branigan
Photographer: Tyrone Branigan
Photographer: Tyrone Branigan
Photographer: Tyrone Branigan
Entered
2008


Photographs by Tyrone Branigan, Tyrone Branigan, Tyrone Branigan & Tyrone Branigan, text by Bates Smart Pty Ltd

Link directly to this award entry: http://dynamic.architecture.com.au/awards_search?option=showaward&entryno=2008023196

architecture.com.au is the website of The Royal Australian Institute of Architects