IN THE ARCHITECTS WORDS
Fremantle Railway Station was designed by Mr Dartnell - Chief Engineer of Existing Lines of the Railway Department in 1906. The Station was built by Mr S.B. Alexander and completed on 20th April 1907 with the official opening on 1st July 1907. The Fremantle Railway Station is a landmark building which terminates the vista from Market Street and is an imposing structure on Philimore Street. It is part of a cohesive group of early twentieth century buildings along Philimore Street and part of a number of important Fremantle buildings associated with rail, port and maritime operations . The Building is noted as a'fine example of Federation Free Classical style featuring a rare example of large train hall roof , generous entrance hall with imposing arch windows' (HCWA register document). The building was constructed of local Donnybrook stone with red face brick infill panels on a Donnybrook stone plinth. Donnybrook stone forms all of the main entry section of the facade as well as entablature,cornices, arches and cappings on the remainder of the building. The facade remained unpainted (except for metalwork and timberwork) until it was painted
in 1950 because is was considered necessary for 'patching of deteriorated stone with cement render and an interest in brightening the building up'.(1949 correspondence from Secretary for the Railways-taken from Conservation Plan by Kelly Aris-1999) Heritage & Conservation Professionals & Philip McAllister Architect Pty Ltd were engaged in 2004 to investigate the possibility of removal of paint from the facade and then removal of paint and conservation of stonework to the Main Entry section of the facade. Initially two test piers were used at the east end of the Station to test and evaluate paint removal processes and to ascertain the extent of stone conservation and replacement that would be required prior to documentation of the Main Entry facade. The impact of various 'anti-graffiti' systems were also tested and evaluated. Documentation of the works was completed and tendered in May 2005. Colgan Industries Pty Ltd won the tender and commenced work on site in June 2005.The conservation works were completed in December 2005. The conservation works is the first stage of a program to conserve the whole of Fremantle Railway Station.
Philip McAllister Architect and Heritage & Conservation Professionals
08 9481 5021
Project architect: Mr Philip McAllister, Philip McAllister Architect Pty Ltd and Heritage & Conservation Professionals
Builder: Mr. Martin Colgan, Colgan Industries Pty Ltd
Heritage consultant: Mrs Rosemary Rosario, Heritage & Conservation Professionals